I'M HERE TO EMPOWER YOU!

I’m an artist . . . but that’s not saying much, because I believe, and it is something that I have devoted my time heavily to convey, that art expression is an inherent property of human nature. The media may vary, but not the innate disposition.

Those that know me have heard my “talent-as-myth” diatribe all too often, and if you end up tuning in to my posts, you will encounter it soon enough. It is my goal to change the notion, which a great number of people resign to, that one needs to have “talent” to pursue the art they feel or want and am doing this on a daily basis through my program in the G+ Mentorship Program for Photographers.

With that as preface, I will probably devote a portion of my posts to inspiring artists, but I also plan to impart other conceptions that I have about life in general, with the goal of elevating, encouraging, enlivening or energizing those who read them.

Let me begin with this:

I wish for you the ability to create for yourself all that your heart desires.

Start!


➡️ fill out this form, if you’re interested in the new home for “G+ Mentorship Program for Photographers”

➡️ fill out this form, if you’re interested in keeping in touch or getting mentored by Robin


You can begin by watching "The Myth of Talent" here:


"The Myth of Talent" by Robin Griggs Wood

Robin Griggs Wood •artist•(@robingriggswood)'s Instagram

.
.
.
.
.
.



RECENT POSTS

RGW's BTS Hunt Special


RGW's BTS Hunt Special
How I got Carried Away

It was the most extreme privilege to have had this image, Carried Away, awarded 1st place honors from judges Jacob Lucas, a 2nd place from Alan Shapiro and 2 Honorable Mentions from Chris Chabot and Derek Kind in *** 2013 Summer edition in the category for Butterflies. What a thrill! … and I feel very lucky to have had the opportunity from Chrysta Rae and for the great First Friday Art Walk from Samantha Villenave to share it in … hugs to you all!

Background

I was limited to shooting most of what is in the images I created for the past Hunt with a non-dSLR (I have a Canon G12––essentially a "point & shoot"; fixed lens). It does have the capability of shooting in raw format (more information to work with) and in manual. However, almost everything I have done to create these images could be done with a "point & shoot" and Ps Elements (usually $99) or GIMP (free). I want to bring this message to some of you that may want it, there is no limit! Imagination and drive level the playing field here.

–––

How To Turn Less Into MORE

One of the aspects about smaller cameras is that they have smaller sensors than most dSLRs. To get more from a "point & shoot", you will need to take more shots, with the intention of combining them in post-processing (to get more image information when you plan on making a final image on a grander scale).

One of the liabilities of my own camera is that it is much slower than a dSLR. The only "burst" mode it has with any real speed captures tiny jpeg files not worth working with and its raw continuous speed is only about one frame per second. Since the category was "butterfly", I knew that I would have to find one dead, or come up with a better plan.

I have always been very inspired by the works of Teresa Stover (who, sadly, is not at G+ anymore). I've always wanted to create an image that I feel has the feminine and ethereal qualities that she puts in her works––with my own style, of course; I surely didn't want to copy her. The Hunt is great for pushing yourself towards new things. Recalling one of Teresa's shots for the #PhotographyDeathMatch a couple of years back––she was floating along with the wind in one of her creations depicting the Four Elements. That's when this idea started forming in my head, to be carried away by butterflies.

My little slow cam was never going to catch a real butterfly, so I hand painted one of those "nylon stretched over wire" butterflies, then shot it over 100 times at different angles to combine them in layers in Photoshop.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-jihL4kchO3Q/Uk3u6KSqvWI/AAAAAAABZ9o/KpZKj3i9L78/s0/Butterfly+shot_set-up_rgw_web.jpg

Here is my set-up:
I stuffed a stiff wire into the "body" of my butterfly and then stuffed the other end of the wire into a broken lamp base (yes, I keep that kind of junk around just for this type of thing. If you ever visit, you may not go into my garage … ;o7). I put the lamp base onto a cheap "lazy susan" turntable to make it easier to shoot the butterfly at multiple angles fairly quickly.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/niLLI3VftF3XZ6olc44bstYui5MWKKWn9yFLBS9urwjN=s0

Shooting multiple images is how I get the most out of my small camera. You can see more examples of how I put this into practice in one of my earlier "making of" posts:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/103698889037599783920/posts/ZzkoPk1HicV

...as well as this post, using "focus stacking":

https://plus.google.com/103698889037599783920/posts/DtEiwwm36xM

...and this post, stacking images to reduce noise, along with multiples for making a panoramic image:

https://plus.google.com/103698889037599783920/posts/LjFsd7CuoxY


Plan Ahead

It's important, when you are planning to separate the background from your subject for a composite, to use a plain background that is easily removed in post. High contrast (light background for a dark subject or dark background for a light subject) works well, or use color wheel opposites (for example, if your subject is full green, you can use a red background) when you want to use the channels in a compositing application to create the separation. You need to have your subject well lit, as well you need to have the background well lit avoiding shadows from your subject, which makes it quicker to select and separate. For this, I shot with a gang of inexpensive worklights (hardware store) with fluorescent bulbs and a small reading lamp for a fill light.

To get myself at the right perspective for the woman in the final image, I laid down on the top of my dresser and shot from down low. Thinking ahead for the layer separation in post and using the same technique as described above, I draped everything in black so that the white of the gown would be easier to separate.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-pRCy8bB_aX4/Uk3u4-jwYzI/AAAAAAABZ9Q/NHUbzstP8Ek/s0/Butterflies-woman-before_5391_rgw_web.jpg

Using the luminosity of the channels, Levels and the Dodge & Burn tools, I was able to retain some of the sheerness of the white fabric. (Run a search using "using channels to create masks" to learn how to do this, if you don't know how.)

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-JLNtVHfaous/Uk3u5J0rSGI/AAAAAAABZ9c/c7_shQWu3vY/s0/Butterflies-woman-masked_rgw_web.jpg

You can see that technique in the following image where I used it to separate a butterfly from its background. Since the butterfly is predominantly blue, the blue channel was the lightest and not the best contrast for creating a separation; the red channel was better, but the green channel had the best differentiation between light background and the butterfly. You will need to read up on Channels in Photoshop, if you have no understanding of how they work, but they are far superior for creating the most accurate selections than any of the selection tools. Sometimes a combination of Selection tools and Channels can speed the process.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/8sng7BTkduR_tAj2Pcktn3s7ICNZA7gB1ulxEhjBJgRc=s0


It's OK To Change Your Mind

My original concept for this image was simply going to be on a white background (I was going to shoot the sheer curtains in my bedroom with the sun shining through them) however, then the super moon decided to make an appearance in our skies. I had always wanted to shoot a quality moon shot with lots of detail, so this one part of my image was not shot with my G12––I borrowed a dSLR to shoot the moon. But, that is thinking creatively, too, isn't it? … ;o) And, it was only after I had gotten some practice shooting the moon and enjoyed the results that I decided to use it as my background instead. This could still be done with a smaller camera, high detail is not always the most important thing, as long as your final concept is a solid one. However, do make sure all the elements you composite are as in-focus as you can get them with your camera. One of my practice shots (very blurry) ended up working very nicely in the composite for the glow around the moon.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/aCQBjtvYJVgs-auIgBtISfP11OlM-JQux7QxDe-mcD-M=s0

Since I already knew what my composition would be, I decided to rotate the moon shot so that the darkest part of it would be covered by the woman and butterflies and not be so prominent.

–––

To my BTS circle and the Autumn "hunters", stay tuned and I'll pass on some more "secrets" … ;o)





––––
You have been notified of these posts that I am sharing with the Autumn round of the Scavenger Hunt because you asked to be included in my BTS circle. Please let me know, if you no longer wish to be notified.
–––

#FirstFridayArtWalk with thanks to Samantha Villenave & Lena Levin
#rgwoodpost #mixedmediaartwork #digitalart #fineart #fineartpls
  #fantasy #fantasyart #fantasydigitalart   #TGIF #digitalpainting #colors #inspiration #creative


▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
robingriggswood.com
http://www.robingriggswood.com/buy/38075446_CPsjbP/3145012689_MmXzLrF/

49 comments:

  1. Excellent, excellent, excellent! Thank you! x 3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing composite, absolutely love the mood, the feel, and the magical light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how much hard work you put into making this super creative and magical image. And I must say.. that gorgeous handmade butterfly will give even live ones a run for their money. Super inspired and thankful, as always ! You rock ! Hugs !

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is proof that a photographer's work is exhausting, but the result....Wow!

    Thanks for describing your method Robin Griggs Wood .  Very interesting and quite a learning experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frickin' awesome and it really is amazing sometimes seeing how basic the raw materials that get assembled into a work of art are!  BTW, Did you place your butterfly stand on a photo book??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brad Buckmaster, Milena Ilieva, Shannon Adelson -- thanks, my friends!
    Saji Saju -- I'm glad you liked it, and thank you, dear! Hugs!
    Loc Traine -- there is so much out there now that I think we have to go out on a limb to create anything new ... and thank you ... :o)
    Maki Silberberg -- thank you, dearest! (How are you and your new cutie-pie doing?! ... :o))
    Gary Munroe -- haha, no I used to illustrate children's books and collected a bunch of them for style reference––it's just a big ol' storybook ... ;oD ... but you've a sharp eye! Thanks, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robin Griggs Wood - I was going to mention something about your two big lighting units too!  They appear to be a cool craftily assembled concoction that would pump out a stars worth of light. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your creative intensity is a marvel to behold Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're doing pretty well ;)  She's absolutely perfect and even the sleep deprivation gets a little better everyday (or I'm getting used to it lol).  Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another beautiful work and inspiration. Thank you Robin Griggs Wood my friend and a great weekend to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG I am just astonished with the amount of work involved and what it is used behind the scenes! I love your work even more, after knowing your 'secrets'.   I am so thankful for your invaluable source of information and inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tagging in to come back to this later.  I still didn't get the notification for this masterpiece Robin Griggs Wood !  I caught this on my stream.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful work and explanations Robin Griggs Wood !

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are amazing in all the ways, sweetie pay ❤️.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i just pray for you to continue with ur work

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gary Munroe -- alas, I can take no credit for the lighting rigs––my boyfriend is a rebel indy filmmaker and I "steal" his stuff all the time ... ;oD. Though, they are good reference for anyone wanting to make their own light set-ups on the cheap ... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Maki Silberberg -- I'm so glad. And don't worry, dear ... after a while, you'll get the chance to catch up on sleep (around when they hit 30 years old ... ;oD)

    ReplyDelete
  18. JD Liddil -- thank you ... :o)
    Richard Ball -- thank you, my friend!
    Celso de Carvalho -- thank you so much, my friend, and a happy weekend to you as well!
    Patricia dos Santos Paton -- I'm so glad! You're most welcome, and thank you!
    Steve Savoie -- G+ is just not giving me that little checkbox for "Send email to" that used to be there ... I have no idea what I am doing wrong. But I sent a share of this out to just the BTS circle to see if that worked better (still no checkbox, but maybe those who have the option in their Settings checked for receiving an email when someone shares a post with them are getting notified) ... otherwise, I don't know the answer, but I'm glad you found it! (And thank you!)
    Delcour Eric and Joseph Vedikunnel -- thank you, my friends!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yasmin Simpson -- thank you, dearest ... xo!
    Mari Luukkonen -- ;o)) ... and thank you so much!
    Rodolfo Seide -- thank you, my friend!
    Gowshik T Manuela Rataj Hailey White Omar Nyongesa and kaoutar EL FADLI -- thank you all so much

    ReplyDelete
  20. Steve Savoie I have Robin Griggs Wood tagged to receive emails when she posts - seems to be the only way I see all her posts.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I usually get notification from people who share a post directly with me but this one didn't come in!  I guess i'll have to try what you did Lauri Novak .  :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOL Robin Griggs Wood we were just saying exactly that....when she's about 30.  That's the age when we're going to let her date too.  ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ok. Lauri Novak , now how do i do this trick of yours?  I can only find the option to get notified by email if someone shares a post directly with me.  I can't specify anyone in particular !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lauri Novak -- I feel very special now! ... xo!
    Maki Silberberg -- hahahahaha!
    Steve Savoie -- create a circle of people that you want to receive notifications of their posts. Go to the Home stream, and up at the top where it says "All circles", etc., click the "More", scroll and find the new circle you created, click on that. At the top of that page when it comes up will be a little box that says "In this circle" and click on the little bell icon. That will send all their posts directly to your email.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you Robin Griggs Wood , i already had the mentorship circle made with you and the mentorship page in it , i just didn't have it set to notify me .   :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are a genius and an inspiration to all! Thank you so much for showing us how you created this masterpiece. I'm quite speechless at what is involved in creating your images! Bravo, Robin.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you, Giselle Savoie and Mandy Allen!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I finally got to read the whole post and let me tell you Robin Griggs Wood that i admire your ingenuity and thought process.  Those home made light holders are fabulous.  Again your creativity is just over the top awesome.  Keep rockin' it girl!!!!  :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks so much, Steve Savoie! (I can't take credit for the light rig, though ... my boyfriend is an indy filmmaker and I "steal" his stuff all the time ... ;oD)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Really amazing Inspiring work dear Robin Griggs Wood Wonderfull.

    ReplyDelete
  31. no notification of this post for me received -- but I found it anyway

    interesting concept =)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Aw, that's really kind of you to say, Warren Searle, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Not sure I can find the right words that don't sound trite to express the enjoyment I get from looking at this image and then reading all the work you put into creating it. Beyond beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You're such a good friend, Chris Smith, thank you ... :o)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you very much for the time you put into creating this BTS, Robin Griggs Wood. I can't fully describe how your image and the story of its creation has inspired me. The image is beautiful, but your imagination ... WOW!

    I read somewhere that vision, without the ability to execute, is merely hallucination. Clearly you don't have that problem.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Heehee, Tom Collins --- I'm glad that you like it; you're welcome and thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Robin. As I was stumbling about G+ this morning, I was delighted to stumble on this post. I learned sooooo much. I read and re-read. Thank you for such details and information. Inspirational as always. AND, your image is all levels of fanciful fantastic & fabulous!!!!! Robin Griggs Wood

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm so glad you liked it, Darla Hueske ... thank you, dear ... hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. amazing foto.  verry nice blue butterflys.

    ReplyDelete